Here is how to make it:
- For the crust:
- 11 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup confectionner sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- For the filling:
- 1 banana
- 1 14oz can of sweet condensed milk
- 1½ cup heavy cream
- Small piece of chocolate
- Prepare the toffee. Place the can of sweet condensed milk in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 3 hour.
- Prepare the crust. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook, place all crust ingredients and mix until dough comes together. Form dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out to ¼ " thick and press into a tart pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Assemble. Line bottom of the tart pan with sliced banana. Cover with toffee. Whip cream to stiff peaks and cover toffee. Sprinkle shaved chocolate.
The first step is to turn condensed milk into caramel toffee goodness, a.k.a. dulce de leche or milk jam. Place a 14oz can of condensed milk in a large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil:
Reduce to a simmer and let cook for 3 hours. And this is what you get:
Delicious, right? I can’t believe I’d never done this.
While the cans are boiling, get started on the crust. Because this pie has a soft gooey filling, a crunchy shortbread-like crust works best. In the bowl on an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook, place flour, sugar, salt, butter and egg. Mix on medium speed.
After a few minutes, the mixture will start resembling wet sand:
Keep mixing until the dough comes together:
Form the dough into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour:
Roll out dough to 1/4″ thick:
Line tart pan with parchment paper:
Place dough in tart pan and press into sides. Roll the pin along the pan to cut off extra dough:
Refrigerate the dough-lined tart pan for 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat your oven to 375°F:
Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges of the tart shell turn golden brown:
Now let’s put it all together. First, line the tart shell with sliced bananas:
Cover with toffee:
In a medium bowl, whip heavy cream until firm. Spoon over the pie.
Spread evenly and sprinkle with chocolate shavings: