Día de los Muertos or Day of the Dead is one of the fast growing trends in the world of Halloween sweets around the United States and I could not be happier. Up to last year all you could find were a few cutters and some decorations here and there but this year, oh boy, stores jumped on the “Day of the Dead” wagon and sugar skulls are everywhere. Here are some of my favorites and where to find them.
1. Skull plate, Target
2. Skull Silicone Cake Pan, made by Wilton, sold at Michael’s
What I love the most about Día de los Muertos is how colorful the holiday is. Where I grew up, Saints Day or “La Toussaint” is celebrated on November 1 and it’s definitely not the happiest of holidays. It’s generally a day to remember loved ones who have passed away, visit their grave and reflect. If I had to describe Toussaint, I would describe it as “grey”. It’s pretty sad.
3. Skull Piñata, Target
4. Day of the Dead Paper Cups, Target
Needless to say, after I moved to California, I embraced everything Halloween. One night, back when I lived in the Mission, I came across a park that had been completely decked out for Día de los Muertos. Neighbors had built beautiful candle-lit altars covered in bright flowers and filled with painted figurines. I thought it was the most beautiful way to remember those who have left us.
5. Day of the Dead Bottle Opener, Crate & Barrel
6. Day of the Dead Party Mask and Photo Props, Target
One of the traditions of that holiday is the sugar skull. If you have not seen one before, sugar skulls are molded pieces of white sugar that are colorfully decorated with icing, pieces of bright foil, colored sugars and usually bear the name of the deceased loved one being honored. Skulls are placed on altars along with flowers, candles and incense. They come in all colors and each one is unique.
7. Day of the Dead Dolls and Figurines, Michael’s
8. Day of the Dead Lollipop Mask, Target
So If you haven’t celebrated Day of the Dead yet, run to your stores and get some of these finds before they’re gone. They’re a great way to put a new twist on your Halloween party.
9. Day of the Dead Pumpkin Decorating Kit, Target
10. Day of the Dead Cupcake Wrappers, Michael’s
And finally 2 fun options whether you want to make your own cookies or buy them all purdy and done!
11. Fred Day of the Dead Cookie Cutters and Embossers, Fred & Friends
12. Day of the Dead Halloween Cookies, Williams-Sonoma (online only)
Feliz Día de los Muertos!